When the bright red strawberries and magenta stalks of rhubarb start showing up in mass at the farmers market I know that summer has really begun. There is something so comforting and delicious about the combination of sweet strawberries and bitter rhubarb, cooked down to a mush, tucked away under a pie crust, or in this case, under a delicious crumble topping. A while back I posted a recipe for rhubarb compote, which is another great way to use rhubarb, and is delicious spooned over greek yogurt or over vanilla frozen yogurt.
This recipe is not only yummy but it’s good for you too! My mom is on weight watchers so while home I’ve been on the hunt for diet friendly recipes to make for dinner and dessert that we can all enjoy. We discovered the website http://www.skinnytaste.com which has incredible recipes that each have weight watchers points and full nutritional information listed. First make this recipe and then go check it out!
strawberry rhubarb crisp
Adapted from Skinny Taste
- 1 lb strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 lb rhubarb stalks (about 5 or 6) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
- 1 cup Quaker oats (I used old fashioned rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup 100% white whole wheat flour (I used all whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, not packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Serve with vanilla froyo, whipped cream, or eat it alone!